Terre di Siena PDO extra virgin olive oil is obtained from at least two of the following olive varieties: Frantoio, Correggiolo, Leccino and Moraiolo, which individually can make up at least 10% of the groves, and together at least 85%. Other varieties can make up the remaining 15%.
The production, processing and bottling-packaging area of Terre di Siena PDO extra virgin olive oil is within several municipal areas in the Province of Siena, in the Tuscany region.
The harvest must take place between October and December 31st of each year. The olives must be harvested directly from the trees, either by hand or mechanically, and must be stored in rigid and ventilated boxes in a cool environment. The olives must be milled within 72 hours of harvesting and within 24 hours of arriving at the mill; before processing, the olives are washed in water at room temperature.
Appearance and Flavour
Terre di Siena PDO extra virgin olive oil is green to yellow in colour, presenting variations over time. It has a fruity aroma and flavour, often accompanied by a strong and decisive piquant fragrance.
The cultivation of olive trees in the production area of Terre di Siena PDO extra virgin olive oil has been documented since the late Middle Ages: in fact there are many works of art and paintings from that period depicting images of olive trees. The Dizionario Storico (Historical Dictionary) by E. Repetti, published in around 1850, illustrates the economic importance of the olive oil trade and olive tree cultivation in the Province of Siena at this time.
Extra virgin olive oil is highly perishable and t is therefore important that it be stored correctly in order to maintain its organoleptic characteristics. It should be kept in a cool, dark place at a temperature between 14 and 18°C, away from heat sources and other foods that release odours. It should be consumed within four to six months of pressing to fully appreciate its qualities. Terre di Siena PDO extra virgin olive oil has a delicate aromatic flavour, making it ideal as a condiment for vegetables, crudité and bruschetta. It can also be used for cooking and is perfect for using in typical Tuscan dishes, particularly those with pulses as the main ingredient, as well as in soups and meat or fish dishes.
Terre di Siena PDO extra virgin olive oil is characterised by a maximum acidity of 0.5 g per 100 g of oil, a panel test result higher than or equal to 7 and a polyphenol level of at least 100 ppm.