Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil is obtained from the Pisciottana, Rotondella, Ogliarola or Uogliarola, Frantoio, Salella and Leccino olive varieties, which must make up at least 85% of the olive groves, either mixed or individually. The remaining 15% can be made up of other olive varieties from the same area.
The production area of Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil is within numerous municipalities in the Cilento protected national parkland areas, in the Province of Salerno, in the Campania region.
The olives must be harvested by December 31st of each year. This can be extended to January 30th in the event of specific climatic conditions and only with the official permission of the Campania Regional Authority. The olives used for production must be harvested directly from the tree, by hand or mechanically; milling must take place within two days of the harvest.
Appearance and Flavour
Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil has a fairly intense green to straw yellow colour; it has a light to mild fruity aroma and a fruity flavour with mild or delicate bitter and piquant hints.
The cultivation of olive trees in the production area of Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil dates back to the time of the ancient settlements of Magna Græcia. Recent archaeobotanical research demonstrates that there were already olive groves present in the area in the VI century B.C. The introduction of the first olive trees is traditionally attributed to Phocaean settlers, who arrived from Greece and were known as great seafarers. They introduced the oldest local variety: the Pisciottana.
Extra virgin olive oil is highly perishable and must be stored correctly in order to maintain its organoleptic characteristics. It should therefore be kept in a cool, dark place at a temperature between 14 and 18°C, away from heat sources and other foods that release odours. It should be consumed within four to six months of pressing to fully appreciate its qualities. Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil has a delicate aroma and is particularly indicated for bringing out the fragrance and flavour of various traditional local foods. It is excellent for dressing boiled vegetables, pulses and salads, and for using in meat and fish dishes.
The product is marketed as Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil. It is sold in glass, ceramic, terracotta and tin plate recipients of no more than 5 litres. The year of production must be indicated on the label.
Cilento PDO extra virgin olive oil is characterised by a maximum acidity of 0.7 g per 100 g of oil, and a polyphenol level that is higher than 80 ppm.