Alto Crotonese PDO extra virgin olive oil is obtained from the Carolea olive variety, which must be cultivated in at least 70% of the olive groves. The remaining 30% can be made up of the Pennulare, Borgese, Leccino, Tonda di Strongoli and Rossanese varieties.
The production area of Alto Crotonese PDO extra virgin olive oil is within the territory of several municipalities in the Province of Crotone, in the Calabria region.
The olives must be harvested directly from the tree, by hand or mechanically, between the first ripening and December 31st of the harvest year. The parasite-free olives must be transported and kept in rigid, well-ventilated containers. No form of treatment is permitted, except for washing the olives at room temperature and the malaxation of the olive paste, using a continuous-cycle system; during this stage the temperature of the oily paste must not exceed 25°C. Pressing must take place within two days of harvesting. All of the oil extraction and bottling or packaging processes must take place in the production area.
Appearance and Flavour
Alto Crotonese PDO extra virgin olive oil varies from pale green to straw yellow in colour. It has a delicate aroma of olives and a light fruity flavour.
The origins of Alto Crotonese PDO extra virgin olive oil date back over a thousand years, when the Oenotrians or Pelasgians, who settled here in the XVI century B.C, began cultivating olives. The Basilian monks, who arrived from the Greek Orient at the end of the VI century A.D., improved olive cultivation techniques, as demonstrated by the archaeological remains of ancient olive-presses dating back to between the VI and the X centuries A.D.
Extra virgin olive oil is highly perishable and must be stored correctly in order to maintain its organoleptic characteristics. It should therefore be kept in a cool, dark place at a temperature between 14 and 18°C, away from heat sources and away from other foods that release odours. It should be used within four to six months of pressing in order to fully appreciate its qualities. The sophisticated and elegant flavour of the Alto Crotonese Protected Designation of Origin extra virgin olive oil is particularly suitable for dressing fish and drizzling over bruschetta or meat, as well as for using in meat pasta sauces.
The product is marketed as Alto Crotonese PDO extra virgin olive oil. It is sold in glass or tin plate recipients of no more than 5 litres. The label must indicate the harvest year of the olives and display the product logo together with PDO.
Alto Crotonese PDO extra virgin olive oil is characterised by a maximum acidity of 0.7 g per 100 g of oil, a panel test result of no less than 6.5 and a total polyphenol level of no less than 100 ppm.